**WARNING, this post is pretty negative. Read with caution****
For a very long time, things have gone rather smooth at the Nieuwenhuis household, with minimal bumps in the road. Almost like clockwork, our son turned 3, a light switch flipped on and there went all we have ever established with him out the window. At least that's how we feel. He's the epidemy of naughty. Defiant, disrespectful and literally out of control are the best ways to describe him right now. I really, really want to pull my hair out when Luke gets home from work. In addition, my poor brother that is living with me right now and recovering has to listen to the multiple crying spells each day and night as well. I'm sure the fact that an extra member in our house is impacting him a little, but he has spiraled out of control. We thought maybe he felt left out for awhile, so have now devoted so much extra one on one time with him, and he is still crazy. Here are some examples of what I deal with pretty much every 30 seconds of the day.
Me: Kai, look at that cute black kitty
Kai: (in a yelling voice) That kitty is not black, it's purple!!!
Me: Well, it looks like you might be getting hungry, should we have some lunch?
Kai: Yes
Me: Would you like a peanut butter or a cheese sandwich
Kai: CHEESE!!!
Me: How do we nicely ask for that sandwich?
Kai: PLEASE!! (yelling it again in a demeaning way)
Me: I make him a cheese sandwich
Kai: Begins to baul his eyes out and says " I WANT PEANUT BUTTER, NOT CHEESE" and proceeds to eat no lunch
Me: Kai, would you like to pick out a book to read before we go to bed
Kai: NOPE! I'm not going to bed and you can't make me- actually I'd rather stand in the corner all night (he pulled this one out this weekend)
Bedtime has become a nightmare. This child was always the absolute best to put to sleep. No long routines, no crying, and absolutely no coming out of his room after lights out. All has changed and I'm deeply saddened by it. He no longer will stay in his room- we have been up night after night of him coming out, running away from us as we try to get him back to his room, screaming because he doesn't want to sleep and by the time its all done- its midnight or 1am and we are exhausted. We have tried nap, no nap, you name it. Reasoning, no reasoning. Taking things away. He has no fear. I think we have pulled out every technique in the book to make this experience a happier one, but nothing is working. Today, we went to Lowes and resorted to buying a new door handle. We installed it on backwards so that we can now lock him in his room. I know, cruel it may seem, but it really is in his best interest if he doesn't want out of control parents. (-: So far tonight, it is 8:50 and he is sounds asleep in his locked room. Amen to that! We were really dreading bedtime tonight-I guess the Lord knew we couldn't handle one more night of this. We just pray that this is yet another phase of toddler-hood and that he'll snap out of it soon. If anyone has any really good ideas on nipping this kind of behavior in the bud, please advise!
Sorry for the rant, but I think I'm allowed one every once in awhile(-:
Sunday, January 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Been there, done that! We also had to lock Jake in his room because he would have the same episodes that Kai is having. It only took a week or so before he stopped pounding on the door after we put him to bed.
I think the 3's are worse than the 2's. He is testing you right now so stay consistant in what you do. It could also be partly from what happened to James. He may have been scared at what was & is happenning and he may be acting out because of it. Ah, parenthood...fun times!
Oh man...sounds like you are having a great week(s)! It can only get better:) try and keep your head up. By the way, I love Aria's hair..It's getting so long.
Wish I had some superb words of wisdom on 3 year olds, but unfortunately, I agree with Krista 3's do seem a bit rougher than 2's. I am hoping going into the 4's are the best yet!
Only piece of advice, consistency is about the only thing that seems to work.
Post a Comment