Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Kai milestone....I CAN READ!....IN SPANISH!

This little guy has been working on reading for quite some time, but we never worked with him or pushed it since we were advised that learning to read in Spanish first was the goal of his school. Apparently, reading in English comes much easier that way, and there is a deeper level of language development and reading comprehension. I think the cart came before the horse, since he was pretty much sounding out all English words this summer, but that's ok. He'll be able to tweek that skill come 2nd grade. Anyways, now that all the Spanish letter names and sounds are mastered, they started working on reading books. Kai is doing such a great job sounding everything out. I seriously had tears in my eyes after he read his first book to me in Spanish! He has the cutest little accent. It was such a proud Mama moment and it made me flash back to the day I learned to read. I remember exactly where I was sitting-in the green chair in the corner of our living room. I felt so proud to know how to read and I know he was feeling the same. Mama has been working on it right along side of him and Kindergarten level is right about where I need to be......and will probably stay as he moves on(-: heehee. So here's a big shout out to Kai-GREAT JOB BUDDY! We're so, so proud of you and may this new skill open a whole new world for you.

No comments: