![]() |
| April 2009....the last time I saw my Gramma. |
On August 26, my dear Grammy passed away. She was probably the most healthy 98 yr old woman with the sharpest mind you had ever met. That all changed two and half months before she passed away. She fell and broke her hip severely....it all went down hill from there. She recovered fine from the surgery, but she had no appetite and her wishes were to not have any intervention. It was a long and painful 2 1/2 months and I still am not sure how she survived that long without food and very little water. It was just plain heartbreaking. I had the chance to visit her in ND 2 years ago, and that trip will forever be treasured as that was the last time I saw her.
This weekend, our family met to have a Memorial service and bury her ashes. She was buried in Albion, MI right next to one of her sisters (she was the youngest of 11!) and her Mom & Dad. We all shared from our hearts and I prepared a slideshow of her life. It was hard to hold it together. The kids layed flowers on her grave and let balloons into the air in honor of their Great Gramma. Kai and Aria came with us and it ended up sparking a lot of good conversation with them. All too often, I think we avoid death, especially with our children. Yet, it is a stark reality -we are all going to die- and Jesus came to die so that all who believe can experience life after death. So mixed with grief, is also a celebration. So hard for us to wrap our small minds around sometimes.
"Some people come into your life and leave footprints on your heart and you will never be the same" Gramma Lola certainly left footprints on my heart. She was not only a Gramma but she was a friend. She took the time to get to know her grandkids and shared in many of our special events. I could always talk to her about anything and she would always listen and very rarely offer advice. She taught me that sometimes just listening was more precious than words. Even though you are no longer with us Gramma, I will always treasure the time you invested into my life and hold onto those memories forever. You were truly an amazing example for a Gramma and you will be deeply missed. I look forward to our big reunion in Heaven someday!
| The Great Grandkids each layed flowers on her grave |
| This photo just brought me to tears....little minds reflecting. |
| The balloons let off into the heavens. |
![]() |
| Mom & Dad....walking the cemetery |
| Her beautiful marker. |


No comments:
Post a Comment