This past weekend, my husband graciously took the kids so I could join my college girlfriends in Ludington for a night of camping. In college, this was a ritual we always looked forward to and would go each year and test out our rustic skills. It has been years since we have been and now I know why...what a PAIN camping is. I moaned and groaned the whole time about how dirty it was, how the campground was so gross and full of rednecks and what a pain it was to haul all of that stuff for just one weekend. Apparently all of that was overlooked when we were young. In college I would have described that weekend as adventerous, full of fun, nice campground and a treat! There was one thing that was still there this year and that was it was full of fun!
I conveniently travelled up there on Saturday so that the other girls could do all the hard work of setting up the tent, etc. I met the girls at the beach where we spent the afternoon laying out, reading magazines and talking about old friends. Later that evening, Becky, the "survivor woman with glam" started a campfire and we sat around for hours catching up. Then I had the bright idea of visiting "TIKI BOBS"- a dance club that "USED" to be fun. So I convinced the girls that we should have one last visit and we would only stay 1 hour- just enough time to dance to a few songs and then hit the hay. OOOOOOHHHHHH was that a trip! It felt like we took a step back in time and were going to a Motley Crue show. Ok, a Motley Crue show at a trailer park. The place was absolutely disgusting.....however, it was pure entertainment. I think us girls said two words to eachother the whole time, and then people watched the rest. It was so humurous that we took a few pictures of the crowd. The kicker was the entire family who entered around 11:30 pm- yes, kids and all. The youngest child (around age 13) lit up a cigarette when she sat down and we just looked at eachother in awe. The other table next to us were woman with HUGE bangs, fat rolls hanging over super tight jeans, missing teeth, etc. To top it off, I ran into someone I knew! An employee there used to work at VanTol with me. I know, we're lucky we weren't struck dead for all of the staring, but it was sure fun to see what life is like in other parts of the world. Not to mention how greatful we are to live where we do.
All in all, we had a blast. However, next year we will definately be opting for the resort.
No comments:
Post a Comment